Nagoshi Studio is trying to find someone to step into the breach, but so far it's had no luck.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup

Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Just three months after the world premier trailer for Nagoshi Studio's upcoming Gang of Dragon was revealed at the 2025 Game Awards, a Bloomberg report (via GamesIndustry) says NetEase has decided to end funding for the studio in May.
Nagoshi Studio was founded by Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi in 2021, after a 32-year run at Sega. He said in 2022 that his new studio's first game would be "bigger" than those of the Yakuza series, although he dialed that back a bit in 2024, saying at the time that the studio was reining in the scope. It took until The Game Awards in 2025 before we actually got a look at the game, though, and even that really wasn't anything to go on: Basically just a brief CGI clip of Ma Dong-Seok beating the snot out of some guys.
For comparison purposes, here's a clip of Ma talking on the phone and beating ass in the Korean film The Outlaws—he's even wearing the same outfit:
The Steam page is equally vague on the game, saying only that the actor plays a high-ranking member of a Korean crime syndicate who "becomes entangled in underworld conflicts and forges intense, human connections that push him to confront his own sense of purpose." Combat plays out in third-person, with "brutal hand-to-hand strikes, precise blade attacks, gunplay, and high-impact vehicle action across the city."
That dearth of detail may be at the heart of the problem, as the Bloomberg report says NetEase decided to pull the plug after finding the project would require at least $44.4 million more in funding before crossing the finish line. Nagoshi Studio has been trying to find someone to fill the gap, but hasn't had success thus far, according to the report, which also says NetEase is willing to allow the studio to continue working on the game but will require it to buy out the assets or brand if it wants to keep them.
NetEase has ended funding to more than a half-dozen game studios over the past several months, after a multi-year spree of spinning them up, although as far as I know previous cuts have focused on US-based operations: Nagoshi's studio is based in Japan.
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.

Andy has been gaming on PCs from the very beginning, starting as a youngster with text adv...Read more: Full article on www.pcgamer.com
What do you think about this?

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup

Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Just three months after the world premier trailer for Nagoshi Studio's upcoming Gang of Dragon was revealed at the 2025 Game Awards, a Bloomberg report (via GamesIndustry) says NetEase has decided to end funding for the studio in May.
Nagoshi Studio was founded by Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi in 2021, after a 32-year run at Sega. He said in 2022 that his new studio's first game would be "bigger" than those of the Yakuza series, although he dialed that back a bit in 2024, saying at the time that the studio was reining in the scope. It took until The Game Awards in 2025 before we actually got a look at the game, though, and even that really wasn't anything to go on: Basically just a brief CGI clip of Ma Dong-Seok beating the snot out of some guys.
For comparison purposes, here's a clip of Ma talking on the phone and beating ass in the Korean film The Outlaws—he's even wearing the same outfit:
The Steam page is equally vague on the game, saying only that the actor plays a high-ranking member of a Korean crime syndicate who "becomes entangled in underworld conflicts and forges intense, human connections that push him to confront his own sense of purpose." Combat plays out in third-person, with "brutal hand-to-hand strikes, precise blade attacks, gunplay, and high-impact vehicle action across the city."
That dearth of detail may be at the heart of the problem, as the Bloomberg report says NetEase decided to pull the plug after finding the project would require at least $44.4 million more in funding before crossing the finish line. Nagoshi Studio has been trying to find someone to fill the gap, but hasn't had success thus far, according to the report, which also says NetEase is willing to allow the studio to continue working on the game but will require it to buy out the assets or brand if it wants to keep them.
NetEase has ended funding to more than a half-dozen game studios over the past several months, after a multi-year spree of spinning them up, although as far as I know previous cuts have focused on US-based operations: Nagoshi's studio is based in Japan.
Keep up to date with the most important stories and the best deals, as picked by the PC Gamer team.

Andy has been gaming on PCs from the very beginning, starting as a youngster with text adv...Read more: Full article on www.pcgamer.com
What do you think about this?